Mental Health Month was established in 1949 to increase awareness of the importance of mental health and wellness in Americans’ lives, and to celebrate recovery from mental illness. Mental health has a major impact on our overall well-being and even physical health. Everyone experiences feelings of sadness, fear, and anxiety, but sometimes these emotions lead to larger psychological or social problems.
With all the current challenges worldwide, you may feel anxious and worried. It’s normal to feel this way after living under restrictions for an extended period of time but knowing how to cope with your feelings is important in order to return to your lifestyle. Below are a few tips on how to manage and cope with post-pandemic anxiety:
- Continue to follow precautions. While you may leave your house more by enjoying a walk outside, going into the grocery store or being around people in general, following the precautions can help you ease back into society.
- Talk to a counselor. Work with Varsity Brand’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) to get the help you need. By talking through your anxieties, you can feel heard, and your counselor can provide coping mechanisms to help you through high-anxiety situations. Sometimes, all you need is someone to listen to you to help you.
- Don’t overload yourself with information. Watching the news, reading the newspaper or browsing through social media can cause your anxiety to spike. Take a break from media outlets and researching; your mind needs to unwind.
- Relax. Find an activity that helps you relax, such as meditating, exercising, cuddling with your pet or reading a book. When your anxiety is high, it’s important to know what calms you down.
Our Employee Assistance Program (EAP), available through Anthem, offers a wide range of support and resources to help you and your immediate family members, at no cost. These resources below can help you recognize the signs of mental health problems, find the help you need, and learn healthy, lifelong habits:
- Webinars- A variety of webinars online at www.anthemeap.com (select Member EAP Login and type Varsity Brands as employer to login. Upcoming quarterly webinars will also be available to all employees and will be communicated internally.
- Online Seminars – Free online seminars are available on a variety of topics like sleep essentials, self-care, stress busters and more.
- Educational Podcasts – Learn more about mental health concerns by listening to brief, educational podcasts from licensed professionals
- Professional counseling – Connect with a licensed professional for confidential online or in-person sessions
- Online Support – Search “mental health” on the website for tips and tools for taking care of yourself
The Anthem EAP also includes access to learn to live, a free online resource that provides complimentary mental health assessments and emotional health and well-being programs like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Check it out.
Your EAP is here to help, 24/7 and there are multiple ways to find support: call 866-621-0554. or go to anthemEAP.com and enter your company code Varsity Brands.